Thursday, February 9, 2017

French Oldsmobile Cutlass

Perhaps the only 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass in France



First, I apologize for my English, hope you understand what I am writing, I am a French who loves American Cars, and I proudly owns an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 1980, which was built in Detroit .
I spent three years to restore the brakes, engine, trim, body, wheels.
The engine is the small block 3 8 liters V6, not a very powerful engine, but perfect to take me to my work every morning without cause enormous fuel consumption by the fuel price is a little high.
The only part I t have changed doesn is the rear bumper of mine is destroyed critically by rust, and I can not find another in France because my oldsmobile is not really a town car accross the country.



Hope I didn t bother you at all, a good day, because it is almost 13 hours in the United States.
First, I apologize for my English, hope you understand what I am writing, I am a French who loves American Cars, and I proudly owns an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 1980, which was built in Detroit .
I spent three years to restore the brakes, engine, trim, body, wheels.
The engine is the small block 3 8 liters V6, not a very powerful engine, but perfect to take me to my work every morning without cause enormous fuel consumption by the fuel price is a little high.



The only part I t have changed doesn is the rear bumper of mine is destroyed critically by rust, and I can not find another in France because my oldsmobile is not really a town car accross the country.
Hope I didn t bother you at all, a good day, because it is almost 13 hours in the United States.
Beautiful Cutlass Surprised to see two of them hope you can find a good replacement bumpers at a reasonable price, I'm sure you must have a lot of comments on the great condition and is unusualness Welcome .
Quote Beautiful Cutlass surprised to see two of them hope you can find a good replacement bumpers at a reasonable price, I'm sure you must have a lot of comments on the great condition and is unusualness Welcome site.
Hi Yes, the other is a 1986 Cutlass modified GPL It belongs to a friend of mine, I am very surprised when I drove, compared to my 1980 Cutlass feeling is very different drive 86 is a driving smooth, not its engine, no transmission power TH200, maybe cut LPG But my 80 performance with its new engine is more powerful when you put the pedal to the metal, it is also noisier.
It is in good condition, so no significant rust, except rear bumper as I said, just the original paint worsens He needs a good paint to be very pleasant.



BTW, my cutlass he reached two weeks ago its 310,685 miles Not bad for a grandma like her.
Quote Welcome, it amazes me how many Europeans have Oldsmobiles Do not worry about your English, it is better than some North Americans lol.
Thank you, I spent a few weeks ago in Louisiana a few years, my English is a little rusty because I'm more used to speaking than writing Europeans have a lot of cars in the US, indeed do Oldsmobiles ford mustangs are the most sought after cars are always the must have car, but they have a real charm and rare enough to attract the attention of other car owners in the United States.
Quote Welcome to Elegant Cutlass group Looking at the photo, your rear bumper doesn t look all that bad is really chrome bumper or bad building behind it.



Thank you to anwser your question, chromium is not bad, but the building is complete.
T fall again, but rust Perforated bumper.
Quote Welcome, I would say the same thing that most people in other countries react with English better on these forums we bumpers are probably cheap here in the states aren t they would be worth it delivery in France if the party was cheap in the first place.
It will be necessary to import this part I ask professionals Somes, the price unless I was 800 with high shipping for me, so I'm not sure what to do.



Here are some more pictures if you want more information or stories about it, just ask.
At the same time, if you want to know about France or someting European Cars, don t be shy, I'll try to answer you.
Welcome As mentioned earlier, your English is very good not to be your native language Thank you for sharing your car and look forward to your Hey improvements and adventures are not all of us can lead a Delahaye.
Welcome, and I start by saying that your English skills are far superior to my French skills, which are now nonexistent way, I went out with a French woman for about a year and I learn French, but it wouldn t always tell me what a few words she uttered meant as the bumper I can ask a friend in California if he might be able to find a bumper with good chrome on it to choose the partial recovery during Usually they are quite price I do not know the cost of shipping, but if it finds one, we can work on transportation costs to that point if you can give me an idea of ​​the size and weight, I can make estimates of transport costs on UPS and FedEx sites.
The price of chromium is roughly equivalent in the States, I am always amazed by the number of innovations and safety features that were discovered on French vehicles and vehicle performance later.



seat belt is a good example While in the 50s the US safety belt was not a legal obligation, it was in France, but in spite of that child's safety improvement, cars former French weren t comfortable while the Smalls and not powerful, because our roads are half the size compared to yours We have not as big as the US country.
You can try asking some other European chromers.
Their home page looks a little empty, but they are definitetly the company.
You can try asking them, ask anything doesnt cost two would be close enough, even for small-road trip to drop the parts and get them if you wish.



As said AnthonyP 500 is about what works in the states I understand having to repair the bumper can be expensive as well.
Here's a video by Eastwood on chrome powder coating Maybe this way would be a little cheaper it certainly isn t Chromium, but in my humble opinion, it looks pretty good.
Yes, sounds good, but how long this good appearance is supposed to last.
Welcome As mentioned earlier, your English is very good not to be your native language Thank you for sharing your car and look forward to your Hey improvements and adventures are not all of us can lead a Delahaye.



Thank you Funkwagon I'm doing my best, I'll post more photos of his way to restoration, as we said in France.
No, my other car isn ta Delahaye J had the world famous 2CV in my garage, next to my everyday life, the Renault 21 Nevada, sold in the US under the name of Renault Medallion I also got an Alfa GTV 2 0 1976 a good car, but I'm still working to get it to the road.
Welcome, and I start by saying that your English skills are far superior to my French skills, which are now nonexistent way, I went out with a French woman for about a year and I learn French, but it wouldn t always tell me what a few words she uttered meant as the bumper I can ask a friend in California if he might be able to find a bumper with good chrome on it to choose the partial recovery during Usually they are quite price I do not know the cost of shipping, but if it finds one, we can work on transportation costs to that point if you can give me an idea of ​​the size and weight, I can make estimates of transport costs on UPS and FedEx sites.
But thank you, it's a few words im still searchig for English, but slowly come back to me the French are very bad students, and overall, they didn t speak English so I can not train me speaking English with them, because they can not understand what I did not say, even if the sentences are simple, I'm still speaking English with my parents and my uncle when I see them, but not enough to keep it.



About my rear bumper reinforcement is very specific with regard to the anchor points'm not sure of the word that I can send you pictures and size, I made it a few months ago, but I'm not at work now can access ty It is very nice of you.
Whereabouts are you, I have a sister who lives near Bordeaux I have some pieces to March 8 Buick V6 engines If you are near the ferry ports to England there are several good plating shops reputation here, and it may be a better place to try and source as a rear bumper.
Congratulations on your beautiful Oldsmobile, I guess snails s 2CV or tin as they are called here become rare even in France now.
Just looked the part number for the rear bumper, looks like the door 2 is slightly different than the 4-door 1980 Too bad I know that's a new old stock NOS.


I think I have some 6 cylinder parts to an engine cam 3 8, bullpen, etc. for a project that I abandoned several years ago, still in the area I do not know what your plans are for your engine, but I can look and see what I have.
Whereabouts are you, I have a sister who lives near Bordeaux I have some pieces to March 8 Buick V6 engines If you are near the ferry ports to England there are several good plating shops reputation here, and it may be a better place to try and source as a rear bumper.
Congratulations on your beautiful Oldsmobile, I guess snails s 2CV or tin as they are called here become rare even in France now.
No, I live in Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand You may know this place, cause this is where the Michelin tires are in French quality.
If I ask why your sister lives in France.
Concernings parties, it won t need my engine is a RockAuto, Mexican rebuild, but it works.



A snail is funny, because here nobody sees it like that, but it really looks like a snail, for sure most of us Says 4 wheels under an umbrella.
Contrary to what you thought 2CV is absolutely not the way to desappearing There is a lot of specialty shops which complete restoration, a company still makes the different parts, including trim and body This car is very popular here You do not go to see one of them in the winter, but as soon as the fine weather returns, 2CV becomes princess of the road.
Something very funny about this car too, is that people still use ederly as a car every day as in 1960 It is both a collection and a useful vehicle vehicle because of its principles and mecanichal simplistic and reliable.
Just looked the part number for the rear bumper, looks like the door 2 is slightly different than the 4-door 1980 Too bad I know that's a new old stock NOS.



I think I have some 6 cylinder parts to an engine cam 3 8, bullpen, etc. for a project that I abandoned several years ago, still in the area I do not know what your plans are for your engine, but I can look and see what I have.
Yes, I bought a 2-door rear bumper it a year ago, very good shape, not perfect, but high prices aren bumper loads t even ride, so I can t on my own.
As I said, my plans for the engine are not touching simple as long as it works properly.
Powder coating is generally more durable than automotive paint powders can be formulated to withstand chemicals, heat, UV radiation, etc. In Oklahoma, there are companies that catches powder coating oil pump equipment for the oil industry, so there are out there who would agree powders.



Ok, thank you A friend of mine who sells even told me that it was a piece of chrome smelter brakes as shown in the video, or a new piece polished like a mirror on an old fat part, dotted the powder coating involves sanding prior else who does not take an old bumper, once sanded, it is full of holes to fill with putty and powder coating only works on bare metal.
I would like to thank everyone for making me feel at home You're awesome guys seriously as a thank you, I'll try to write his story here, for any of you who are interested difficult year for me, because my English is still rusty, but at least it form me a little.
I'm not 23 years old when I came to the United States, my parents used to drive a Ford LTD 70's next, a 1987 Chevy van I always remember this big car, like any other in France, I dreamed a lot about buying one of them I so long that it will be impossible for me to buy an American car, because here in France, American cars are associated with rich people, however, after a little research, I discovered that no one wants that kind of cars in Europe in fact, their consumption and size deter potential buyers as everyone thinks it is difficult to find parts for all goes well, a great forum on the web told me the truth about them.
I started then to find that I had no substantial budget, so I focus my research on a 80 s medium, which are at the lowest possible price in Europe USA also easy to repair without electronics and good search at that time, I had no mechanical knowledge the only operation that I had done was oil change on my car every day 1987 Renault 21 Nevada.



I found my Oldsmobile on a French Internet forum I was looking for a Buick Skylark 1980 Oldsmobile but was bigger, more beautiful than Buicks After negotiation, I got the car for 1100 1200 I am also happier than a tornado in a campground.
Finally, I was driving my own car What American rush V6 engine is a lot for a young man who was driving an old Renault.
I know, the United States, it is one of the smaller block you can find, but here it is two times more than the standard car engine liters Olds was powerful, imposing, all I looking I drove 2 months and the first problems arise.
No, I live in Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand You may know this place, cause this is where the Michelin tires are in French quality.
If I ask why your sister lives in France.



Very simple, she likes there My wife wants to retire to Spain, I said Texas is better.
Concernings parts, it won t need my engine is a RockAuto, Mexican rebuild, but whatever works As I said, my plans for the engine are not touching simple as long as it works properly .
Change the oil regularly and keep the suspension and steering joints lubricated, check more often, and you should have little trouble with it.
B I would like to thank everyone for making me feel at home You are great guys, seriously.
If all goes well, a major forum on the web told me the truth about them.
You won t find a better pool of knowledge and friendly people willing to help ClassicOldsmobile.



I found my Oldsmobile on a French Internet forum I was looking for a Buick Skylark 1980 Oldsmobile but was bigger, more beautiful than Buicks After negotiation, I got the car to 1100Ђ 1200.
It's a good price, the same car would cost more here.
LMAO, I'll remember this line and pass as I thought at first.
Quote fairly simple, she likes there My wife wants to retire to Spain, I said Texas is better.



Maybe she falls in love with our great food wine.
I do not really like Spain too, but if you want to visit, you can go south spain fewer people, more and more cactus plains.
Quote Change oil regularly and keep the suspension and steering joints lubricated, check more often, and you should have little trouble with it.
Thx for advice I change the oil and filter every 3,500 miles.
Quote American hospitality Nobody does it better.
Quote It's a good price, the same car would cost more here.



Very surprised how the americans car sees as a classic car, a collector or more like a normal car.
I was driving this car every day to go to school, supermarket or my parents' place and one day, I heard a huge explosion in the engine compartment The car was still running, but the white smoke spreading around it made me think something is wrong I continue to drive 2 miles to find a place to stop the car my father joined me, and the diagnosis was simple cylinder head gasket gauge temperature was not working, and I do not see any more, I was sad that my beauty was out with my father, tow us at home, and that was the beginning of the real work.
We decided to do a security refresh for automotive suspensions, electrical, brakes and gaskets.
We made our first order RockAuto, and we need to count 3 months, we could not work on the weekend, and it was winter, no garage, we worked outside to complete.



23-- the gasket fix valve replacement and cleaning of grinding Block 30 December 2012 - false contacts Repair in shock absorbers dashboard Dismantling Merry Christmas, the car is running again occasional snow Hibernation Radio fixs, windscreen -glaces, lights February 30, 2013 - front and rear shock absorbers replacement, replacement of front and rear brakes, a purge 15 March 2013 dismantling old exhaust, we made a new record of old pipes with two lines.
I spent hours stretched under the dashboard, I even ordered three different measurement panels on eBay and by the end of March, he was running again.
Then I order a new carburetor RockAuto, the old one was damaged beyond repair The drop in gas consumption 15L 100kms, a large improvement over its previous consumption of 20L 100 But two months later, another problem appears that I was going to the post office after I'll post my letter, I tried to start the car a speed terrible sound came to my ears, and nothing the starter motor was dead Unfortunately, the Oldsmobile was parked in very difficult to access, we had to push out the load on the tow truck RockAuto provide me his new starter motor a week later, the Oldsmobile was working again in my head, I started request is off.
Crafting escape this way is ingenious Necessity is the mother of invention Unfortunately, there are always small problems that arise, but if you made outside head gaskets you can attack anything the Olds throws at you.







French Oldsmobile Cutlass, French, oldsmobile, cutlass.





Oldsmobile Dr, Nacogdoches, TX, США