Sunday, August 21, 2016

Dover Wood Rot Repair Projects Epoxy Wood Filler

How to Repair Wood Rot 4 of 4



How to fix the rotten wood with epoxy pulpwood I'll show my repairs down my outer door trim, but you can also repair other wood rot, such as window sills and frames, porch columns, decorative wood, etc. . These are aesthetic solutions, not repair Sill beam structure patches for example, and other load bearing structures.
After scraping old paint off our outer door, I noticed something that had not been much of trim around the bottom of the door was rotten I was searching on the board of the above medium, and found that things were even worse than I thought the threshold beam below the door was rotten and Oh boy.
Here's what the threshold beam like with most of the worst removed rotting But you can see that to fix the threshold beam 6 x6 beam above the base above, I will have to remove the outer door trim left to get to beam notes I didn the threshold beam repair article is yet, but I will soon.
The following is only to a cosmetic solution to the bottom of the left door trim This bottom section, although it doesn t seem too bad in this picture, was very rotten mainly on the back and very sweet face up a few inches from the bottom this is what happens when wood is wet contact surfaces stages, rain and snow as the wood grain at the end of the boards is particularly effective to suck moisture Note You can click photo to enlarge.
Instead of removing all the trim piece left door, it seemed easier in this case just to cut a few inches lower with a sawzall, perform the repair rotting wood with epoxy and then reattach it later I could have made a new piece matching wood, but it would have been quite a bit of work, as the room was unique in size and notched in the back, and also was not a piece of trim available in stores home I remembered seeing an online article about repairing the rot with epoxy, so it was out of Google for search rotten wood repair, as I was also eager to learn about the repair rot for fun too.
After research, it was time to repair rot is here that I was, using 2 products one liquid timber curing resin which penetrates the soft wood, making it difficult again 2 Epoxy Filler 2 wooden part epoxy to reconstruct replace rotten wood.


Here is the bottom of the door trim You can see the rot ahead doesn t seem too bad, but much of it was so fragile, he just lost in my hands after this photo was taken.
Wood rot was worse on the back of rotten wood was completely dry, but notes very soft and lumpy I'm not in these pictures I was using the laptop as my camera here, and had to see what I shooting please excuse my big nose.
Step 1 Remove Unstable Rotten Wood The first step to repair wood rot filler with epoxy wood, is to remove any rotten wood that is loose, lumpy or you want very soft to get to reasonably stable wood, it can be a bit soft but I a screwdriver as a dentist remove tooth decay wire brushes work well for other wood flat surfaces must be completely dry or as dry as possible before going further This may mean using a device heating or ventilation, or other piece to dry out or if it is an outdoor room you may need to cover the area with a trap for some time to dry it out thoroughly content Less than 20 moisture is the recommended level, but which has a hygrometer just use common sense and get as dry as possible.
Step 2 drill holes in and around the affected area drill holes using liquid wood hardener penetrate deeper into the wood I hole a little larger one 1 4 is recommended Don t drill all the way through.



Step 3 Apply liquid wood hardener There are a number of brands out there that I just happened to have quick access to it Minwax, high performance wood hardener This can about September 50 at Home Depot.
Lather on some quick layers with a brush disposable cheap hair Make sure you get all the nooks and crannies then let dry for 2-3 hours Once dry, the resin that has penetrated the soft wood, it will be My new hard and stable glove here seems odd that the lower half ripped off, it is not that special finger glove ha.
Step 4 Add screws to the force as an additional measure Screws are optional, but not a bad idea, because they act like rebar rebar used in concrete screws give the load of wood epoxy to grab on and add strength to the repair I screw head outside flat.
Step 5 Mix a batch of epoxy wood filler This happens to be a paste Bondo epoxy wood Many people have used regular Bondo for fixing wood rot before without problems, but a quick Google search will run as just that much people say that the traditional Bondo used for auto body repair isn ta good idea to use the repair wood rot because it does not expand and contract with changes in temperature and an epoxy wood filler dedicated, made for wood rot the above product is Bondo and tell his load of wood I've ever seen before, perhaps the same as the automatic Bondo, who knows all cases the photo on the front looked convincing so I thought I give it a shot, like other epoxy I found online were more expensive than I will follow up, updates on how it fits in our winter s harsh New England and humid summers.
First you fill the cup provided with the load of wood forgot to put my gloves here.



Then you squeeze a bead of epoxy hardener to a length of the diameter of the cup see your product for specific directions.
Mix Bondo and hardener well with a disposable plastic putty knife.
Step 6 Apply wood epoxy sealant Rotted Wood sure to goop in every corner, I used a plastic putty knife and screwdriver for working in the pockets of rotten wood Bondo suggest that you build layers exceeding steps 1 2 inch in thickness at a time.
Bondo sets up quickly, so you'll be mixed some lots and apply in layers if you have to build much I do I'm sure he Sá cleanest way to do it, you can build a form of plastic, and I'm sure some people are better qualified with their putty knives, you can wet your putty knife with lacquer thinner to keep the load of wood to stick to what I have not bothered much clearly and it shows, but it didn t seem to matter all that extra mass will be sanded away Allow to dry for 30 minutes it'll heat up, as the chemicals do their thing.
After about 15 minutes with 5 orbital sander, I am able to design a replica very close to the original item of trim, with notched cut on the back of the lining of the house goes behind this notch No more wood rot here once primed, painted and glued, this piece will be resistant to rot, as epoxy, no wood.



More photos and story coming soon the room resettled --Peter.
Products Tools Minwax, high performance wood hardener Bondo Home Solutions Wood Filler No information on the 3M website, they do things and popular alternative Abatron LiquidWood Abatron WoodEpox Alternatively Conserv Epoxy PC products Another brush replacement line, screw driver or to remove decay Drill disposable brush plastic putty knife hair tools Formatting rasp, sandpaper, sanding, etc.
My standard liability This is what I do does not mean that this is the best way, the right way, the building code, or even safe for your needs You are on your own with your project, I do not promises about the information presented here I'm just a do-it-yourself handyman not professional at all, to share my story so if something goes wrong with your project, you're on your own Good luck and have fun -you.







Dover Wood Rot Repair Projects Epoxy Wood Filler, repair, wood, epoxy resin.