Thursday, July 21, 2016

Caterham R500 and 2016 Academy Racing Blog

Caterham Academy 2016 - Race Trophy - Donington - 12 to 3



Today was the day I d look forward to for some time the first drive in the car Academy at Mallory Park.
Andy Morgan also attend, and we both left early to miss traffic to 5am after driving in freezing fog for two hours and bits we arrived at a nearby Visibility zero Mallory Park at 8 am Session information was the usual, but we had to wait until further notice before watching tours began and we waited and waited and waited - no sign of the fog clearing and the day was canceled around noon - the picture below is me and Andy Academy cars at the same time.
Mines and Andy Morgan 2017 Caterham Academy Cars - photo taken around noon - very poor visibility.
As we were preparing to leave, a named Louis guy who's read the blog and seven came to say hello and we had a good conversation for a while, then a few minutes later, James Batchelor Duratec R500 came and Hello also said.
After nattering away with Louis and James for a good hour or - the weather cleared or almost cleared and with only our cars left in the parking lot, I thought it rude not to have a go fast.



Even after this short race, my first feelings of the car are.
Non-existent braking hope they improve once lapped.
The next attempt to shakedown is scheduled for Bedford Autodrome on 14 January - I ordered a pack too no fog.
There are some days Dan Piper Caterham service manager informed me that the car was ready for collection, and we agreed that I would be collecting today thinking that traffic Christmas would be a bit of a nightmare this morning I decided to go down last night and glamp in camper for the night everything was fine, apart from Gatwick pretend like it was next door.
Needless to say, with planes taking off seemingly over night and right next to me, I have not slept much, but it was worth it to see the car for the first time, complete and in the metal.



First view of my Caterham Academy 2017 finished cars.
The first day of the shakedown track is reserved for the 30th of this month at Mallory Park, so all that's left now is the car coming home and enjoy the Christmas festivities.
Having lost the energy to complete the last few bits on the car, I prepared myself for quite a PBC Post Build check bill, but to be honest, it wasn t too bad I have given the green light last week, and the car is ready for collection.
While the car is in Caterham Gatwick recital is a fair drive to Gatwick me I decided the car configuration on the laser alignment system Caterham.
My challenger 2017 Caterham Academy - ready for action.
I will collect the car on Thursday, and all goes well will be on track December 30 cool.



Around 11 o'clock this morning, John Crawley Caterham arrived to collect the car for it after PBC Create Check.
Drive the car to the garage for the first time later this was the first time I saw the car outside in daylight, and though the rear tires seem incredibly thin in these arches; I am very happy with the color scheme and paint work - so thanks to Dave and the team at Daytona Coachworx for a great paint job.
2017 Caterham Academy car Porsche Z12 Voodoo blue with Sulfur Yellow Highlights - Going off for it s PBC.
I am well aware of some pieces I Ve not, fill and bleed the brakes and clutch, fitting doors and door mirrors and a few other bits, but overall the car is almost complete - J 'PBC hope my bill won t be too horrible.
There were a few pieces left to finish the car off, but for some reason I'm just not motivated to complete the final few bits have to give me a good push, I took the car to the axle stands and made mount the rear wing lights.
I find it best to accommodate them when the car is on the field and you can check it is level with a spirit level as long as the shoe is level, rear wings must be too, so give the lights with a small high spirit level and then using a small drill bit of the drill through the mounting holes in the rubber of the light and through in the wing.



Higher level tail lights with a spirit level before drilling the holes in the wings.
Remove the rubber block of light, open pilot holes with better size drill was May 4 mm for me and then mount the rear lights.
There was a lot more work to do, but I really wanted to try to get the car started tonight, then went to about 4 liters engine oil to date and about 4 to 5 liters of mixture 50 50 'cooling water.
About 4 to 5 liters of 50 50 cooling water mixture entered.
Next step before the start was to get some oil pressure, so will seize the moment when I filmed this video.
With the oil pressure, I reconnected inertia cut stop and unsuccessfully tried to start the car it just wouldn t fire up - and after looking at the connections and dual control, I can only assume that is either not enough fuel in the fuel tank or t debilitating immobilizer ISN seems the most likely option.



I'll try again tomorrow - hopefully the result will be better than today's effort.
We managed to come back from Harrogate to 15 hours today, so I got to work on the car around 16 hours, with another work five or six hours completed.
As part of the color scheme I thought better of the side intrusion bar would look if it was the same color as the body work rather than black or yellow sulfur as the roll cage, so it I went back to get it powder coated as I did with the bearing cage, but I wanted an exact match to the body panels Porsche Z12 Voodoo blue, so Dave Daytona Coachworx sprayed for me.
Caterham painted intrusion bar side Z12 Porsche Voodoo blue.



The bearing cage was in place on Friday night, so necessary to ensure that I spent a fair bit of time playing with the alignment and determine which order was best to hold the side intrusion bar same time.
Some interior panels required riveting final after the cage is equipped, so that these pieces were completed, some trim adjustment time IVA trim panels on the knee and fuse holder, and then the cage was tight I understood that it is best to bolt the top side of reasonably secure mounting intrusion before the torque roll cage as then access the top bolt of the side intrusion bar is a little easier.
Some additional riveting on the boot cover was needed to finish this off, and the rear suspension has been installed.
arch, lateral intrusion bar color-keyed and mounted suspension.
As you can see from the above image, the car really takes shape After placing the garage at the end of the night, it became clear how much remains to finish the car on what is really encouraging.
I have some questions for Derek Howlett morning and tomorrow night, I'm hoping to get the rear wings, steering wheel, and time collector with exhaust for.



Another passage five o'clock that night, which undid some of what I d fitted yesterday and today, but you live and learn.
The first thing I wanted to finish tonight was the harness Schroth six-point After talking to Derek Howlett earlier in the day, he sent me an email the implementation of the workshop guide in place of the harness using the harness guide has been fitted, which was after the drilling of two holes 11 mm for both two lower straps on the back of the lowered floor.
With the harness, I equipped the driver's seat, then realized that I would not have the radius arm Thus, the two seats came out, and then the radius arms were attached.
With the radius arm, it was time to put the rear seats in After re-installation of the seats, I then realized I had to mount the cover of the tunnel for the seats were again coverage with the tunnel and the seats were released for a third time.
Belts, arm radius, tunnel cover and seats mounted in this order thereafter.
And finally, the cage it was part of I set myself as a milestone in the construction, and it was really satisfying to get the cage equipped with the help of Charlotte course it's been powder coated yellow Sulfur to match the band of the car, and seems really smart - but because of the color change, a new MSA-FIA sticker was necessary, I will correspond with Sunday bolts of the bearing cage.



Cage Yellow Sulfur roller mounted on my car Caterham Academy.
Tomorrow, we're out of Harrogate, it will be a day off from the construction that will I refreshing'll try to get back at a reasonable hour on Sunday so I can crack with fixing probably brake lines, rear shocks , rear wings and if I get the time of the side intrusion bar.
Back to work today, if progress on the car was limited to four hours tonight During the day I spoke to Michaela in Caterham South that helped me through the IVA document - which, once that it s gone through everything was done before straight while Completed and in the post, now it is waiting for confirmation of the application and the date of testing.
Paperwork IVA and support information, completed and posted to VOSA today.
Work on the car didn t start until about 7 30 this evening, but I still put in four hours of work progress first was to lock the disk to the hubs and then mount the rear calipers and pads.



brakes assembled and mounted back, just mounting pipe and the cleaning required.
The next step - the start of coverage, but to get it nice and taught to mark press studs in place, the belts are fitting, and belts to fit the holes for the bolts must be cut - Charlotte did a good job this while I pressed with other things.
Seat belts and boot cover in place ready for the marking press studs.
With the marked boot, which was coming off, holes cut with a perforating tool and fitting press studs with the supplied tool then fixing the trunk lid has been replaced.


The belt passenger side are very similar to those of R500, so those were easy to climb, but the Schroth harnesses, don t seem to have enough bolts, so I'll talk to Derek Howlett in the morning and check the mounting of these and receive additional bolts.
I could not resist t finish the passenger side, so that the seat must be installed.
So I'm almost finished everything I wanted tonight hopefully I can get the Schroth belts tomorrow, sorted the driver's seat and the cage to roll over.
A long, long day; noon and in fact, probably one hour typing this post on I'm starting to feel the pressure of having to get back to work on Thursday, so today, Tuesday and Wednesday will be full day in order to have the car finished Wednesday night.
A step quick trip to the tip, Screwfix, Halfrauds and road Maplin and the first job was to adapt the horns I wanted to adapt them after the engine because I thought it would give a little more room when motor mount and I think it helped.
I mentioned in yesterday's post I wanted to forward completed as much as possible, so the next WAS the anti-roll bar which was really all right.



After the anti-roll bar, according to the radiator was that I could not work t if there was a top or bottom, and it looks the same up and down I checked several times that the instructions not mention a top or bottom, and with the fan to fan arm - the picture in the manual is not terrible, so thought I'd take it? d for those who may need to visualize how this bit goes.
Radiator and all Caterham Academy car fan.
Coils are mounted on the front of the chassis and the fan, radiator - and this was another part that was satisfactory to meet as it looked like another big step was completed Then I spent a good hour or hack with plumbing to see what questions I have to ask Derek Howlett morning, I'd say I have about a third of plumbing and electricity already completed, will then I hope to finish tomorrow.
Keep my plan yesterday and have as much done on the front end that I wanted to achieve, I telegraphed the reverse light on gearbox - there were some questions about the Academy Facebook group about it and the other two connectors gearbox, and the Academy for this car is the right way to hold the wiring, and the other two white connectors are redundant.
Correct reverse light wiring 2017 Caterham Academy Car - white connectors are not used.
Now was as good a time as any to fit the gear lever.



Next to go was the hand brake cable - I partially mounted handbrake And already the propeller shaft has entered the transmission tunnel.
handbrake cable and the transmission shaft in the transmission tunnel.
Now on part I was dreading - the c diff is a little pain to get it in - best bet is to align all the holes and use a long screwdriver to hold loosely the diff in position while you the bolt and wedge as in the construction manual.
Wedging the diff took hours - I just could not get it to align horizontally or if I did, then it was vertically I'm sick and about to throw in the towel for the evening, but Charlotte called me for some food and I took a break for twenty minutes about the food goes around and I got out and approached the shimming at first, the background needed two and a wedge, but after aligning and re-measuring, it has come to be a wedge on each side is the same for the upper screw also.



This cage finally diff only need a highlighted area by dock.
Now, the differential was finally aligned, the three bolts were tightened, and then the propeller shaft was attached to the diff by four heads of cover bolts These must be locked and tightened to 40nm - better than I found was to put the car in gear to stop rotation of the propeller.
With the propeller and differ in the last bit for the evening was to adapt the drive shafts.
I don t get a sense of great progress today, but I'm not satisfied with what has been realized that time spent doing more fiddly jobs means that they are at least doing and how the number of boxes and coin bags laying around are more rare, which means it is less continue to look at things through and should go a little faster tomorrow and Wednesday.







Caterham R500 and 2016 Academy Racing Blog, caterham, R500, blog academy.





R500, Carletonville, 2499, Южная Африка