Thursday, June 29, 2017

Jay Leno Ponders Charm (and Quirky Engineering) of French Cars

Frozen Toby Barbie AllToyCollector McDonald # 39; Disney toys Playset children Anna NEW Crush Toby Date 4



Jay Leno Ponders Charm and Quirky Engineering French cars.
Just a few years I was working for a new car dealership called foreign Motors Boston to a new preparation of the car and light maintenance Motors nickname The foreigners may seem odd today, but in the late 1960s early 1970s there weren t many independent auto dealers import, except, of course, being made Volkswagen Foreign Bentley Motors, Mercedes-Benz and Rolls-Royce, and an eccentric French Citroen car called Maserati Sport, better known as the Citroën SM.
From a technical viewpoint, the SM was from another planet, especially compared to the Ford Falcon and Ford Galaxie 500 my mom and dad led at that time its sophisticated hydropneumatic suspension, steering rack and pinion self-centering, front-wheel drive and, on European models, headlights that turned together with the wheels were ahead of their time the engine was a V6 DOHC 90-degree built Maserati with solid lifters and three Weber 42 DCNF carburetors which produced 170 hp maximum speed was 138 mph with a five-speed manual, 128 mph with auto matic I thought it was an amazing machine and just fantastic to drive Heck, it was the first supercar I can think who had a V6 engine had more big V8s or V12s to time, a V6 was not considered powerful.
The basic price was DM 13350; so cheap compared to today's standards, that was quite a considerable sum in the early 70s and options could cause the price to rise, often significantly Regardless, I wanted one, and was finally able to buy there are under 17 today, my SM has 120,000 miles on it, and I have not had problems.
The appeal of the French car is in the unique approach with which they are designed Italian cars are a passion; British cars on quirkiness; German cars, engineering; and American cars, reliability staid French cars tend to be on intellectualism and architecture They are intelligently designed, flawless look and have a difficult character to define.



And not only Citroens Take my Delahaye Type 135 competition, for example all switches on the car headlights ignition is in the off position when you pull the buttons toward you, you push to activate it almost perversely different from every other car when I bought the Delahaye, I would be sitting there cranking the ignition, rrrrhh, rrrrhh, and could not get it to boot I d push a switch and vrrroooommmm it Cheers to start the diff rence very strange, I say.
Some people, on the other hand, struggled to accept the eccentricities My father, a prize fighter and insurance salesman, was a top-of-the-road kind of guy when I was 7, he bought a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere had the V8 with 200 hp, and large fins at the rear purely American did the same time, her brother, my uncle Tony, pulls up to our home in a Renault Dauphine meaning princess french, it was a city horn, EEP, and a horn eeepp countries, BEEP, BEEEPP.
My father took a look at the Dauphine and said, What is that man just drove a small car like this twenty years younger, Tony was a musician and artist Where is the engine asked my father my uncle Tony to what back, dad said he's broke in incredulously full chest, my father at his Plymouth and shouted, look at my car, it weighs 2 tons by book, so you coulda more car for the same price.
And he was right; buy French cars had not been very financially responsible Recently, I bought a 1970 Citroen DS21 In his time, he was a top model and extremely comfortable It costs 4329 and came without any of the typical bells and whistles a loaded 1970 Buick Electra 225 with Turbo-Hydramatic, air conditioning, power windows, power this and power that was only 4802 So, why would someone buy a DS21 when, for similar money, they could get more car , say, the Buick is the reason that they wanted something unique, beautiful appearance, original and futuristic something outside the mainstream something that held equally high style believes that performance for this person, the price n has not been a factor.


As for me, I like the Citroen and the strangeness of the way it's put together, I like the way that is in some way mixed soft and feminine with masculine appearance that you find attractive or whether you don t It is also simple as that.
French cars ultimately failed in America because they weren t competitive price and had the ability Reli problems that people ask me if they could never come back, especially now that Renault is linked to Nissan It must be tempting - the US market is huge, however we now live in a time when there is a similarity in all cars - headlights must be this high; bumpers must withstand a particular impact If you hit a pedestrian in the knee and it didnt get up laughing, the car is not acceptable that's not the French.
Citroen and other French cars could come back to America one day, but not as we know them when new things to succeed in the US --like the Wankel rotary engine - they are just different t or just as well that they should be better.
Want to know how different Citroën is that I have the machine change tires more sophisticated in the world in my garage, but I can not use it to change tires on my DS21 because there's not hole in the wheel Now that french art.



For fans of the Citroen DS21 it, the style was the key price was an afterthought.
Citroen SM, with its front wheel and swiveling headlights, is ahead of his time.







Jay Leno Ponders Charm (and Quirky Engineering) of French Cars, Leno, meditate, charming, eccentric.





25024 Leno, Брешиа, Италия