Sunday, April 29, 2018

Why I love French cars Citroen Xantia Part 2

Citroen's French connection



Why I love French cars, part 2 The Citroen Xantia.
It was not long ago, I spoke of the Peugeot 306 a French competitor of the Volkswagen Golf and Honda Civic who introduced me to the wonderful world of French cars The British magazine I had interned on 306 the long-term fleet, and I drove it when I could - but I'd still go for a drive in our Citroën Xantia.
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the princess, the Citroen DS, I think most people know that it rises and falls, but less have a sense of how works hydropneumatic suspension Do not worry not - any more than the people who designed this principle, the system comprises fluid-and gas-filled spheres at each corner, allowing the fly height adjustment of the rear brakes are linked in the system of suspension, which provides the automatic dosing of the rear brake and Swimming reduced braking.
At the time I was at mag in the UK in the early 90s, there were still two hydropneumatic Citroens XM which occupies an important place in the first car chase in 1998 Ronin and Xantia Citroens small medium enterprises the uniwipered ZX and AX, bits mechanical shared with the Peugeot 306 and 106, respectively.



The hydropneumatic suspension had several rounds of the party, including a lever that allowed you to raise or lower the ride height, among others, this tire has helped change without taking Adjust the suspension to full extension, Chock the corner of the car with a bad tire, then remove the suspension at three corners of the lowest car height drop, the affected wheel would lift, and presto, you can change your tire it happen, German and a CX in this video.
The system also allowed you to drive on three wheels It was several decades before YouTube, it occurred to me to try this with the Xantia, but here is a clip of a US TV series Chip DS dubbed in Spanish because why not.
I did once try to increase the suspension height and driving a sidewalk just to see what happened proves not allow complete travel movement - the car bounced like a basketball, I was not expected that.
Back at the office, we discussed the best way to park the Xantia Some said putting full extension for easy synchronization of height, I went to full compression, because I loved to feel the car lift when you started.



I also discovered that if, as you came to a stop, you jumped the car in neutral and floored the brake pedal, the rear suspension would squat, and the car sat drag at speed, start moving and he got up again.
My colleagues praised soft pillow of Xantia ride - well, being an American, I had to wonder if their weren t stone pillows there Whoever remembers back full-size GM 1980 drivers will say Xantia ascended slowly but it was a damn sight more comfortable than other midsize cars Vauxhall Cavalier and Ford Mondeo - our Contour - be bestsellers.
Oh, and did I mention that it was a 1-liter turbodiesel 9 Did I mention he had a manual transmission Did I mention that the panel said Citroën Control, know what I mean nothing exciting, but somehow I delighted.
I tried to drive at least once a week, although the chagrin of Chris, the new editor in which the car was given, he was 6 feet 5 inches, and I was 5 feet 6 inches, so every time he drove the car after me, to bruise her knee, I learned always to slip in the back seat when I'm done driving - everyone is taller than me - but aid Chris didn t or knees well at least he had socialized medicine.
I drove two Xantias during my time in the UK a model stripped down with a gasoline engine 1 6-liter 8-valve and the other a non-turbocharged diesel suspension two were ridiculously slow, but they hydropneumatic play with and I really didn t What Londoners crazy behind me waiting.



What about the quality of construction in all the time I was there, we never had one thing go wrong with the Xantia Do I think they have well-built cars not your life We used to keep customer complaints files - the British love to write and gripe - and while Citroen was only about 10 percent market share, they had the largest file of any manufacturer that said, I once read the letters carefully, and in fairness to the Xantia, most of them focused on the small AX s plastic rear window, which had the disconcerting habit of imploding highway speed, I n accused Citroën juggle their press cars, but if the shoe is suitable.
I went to England in the spring of 94, but the Xantia remained in production until 2002 On my last trip to Europe, I saw many of them, enough that I am tempted to look into the importation of a - the exception goodness knows who I could find to fix I think the best thing to do would be to import three or four of them surely I could do a job Although car may be, that the Peugoet 306 began, the Citroën Xantia sealed my idea that the French cars are the coolest in the world.






Why I love French cars Citroen Xantia Part 2, love, french, cars, party.





Парти, 02130, Франция