Monday, May 7, 2018

Peugeot Vintage ads Remember when you could buy a French car in the US

Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill [Official Lyric Video]



How's this for something different, I always liked Peugeots, partly because of the Maroon 505 sedan by Corgi I arrived as preschoolers, and partly because of their transience Today however, I give you some ads for the 504, which was 404 replacement and the predecessor of 505.
The top ad is my favorite, showing both sedan and station wagon Peugeot really gone the extra mile in designing their cars, going beyond adding a rapid elevation window and cheap and new district the sedan, as clearly shown on the picture above this is nothing new with the 405 iteration, as Peugeot cars special engineering all the way back to the postwar Paul 203 full write-up on Peugeot classic cars can be read here Do check if you missed it the first time.
Some pranksters can say that the top photo in the ad above is what a 504 was like after a few years; in fact, they are very robust and well designed cars, it seems that the federalization process, particularly transmission equipment, took much of the goodness of these cars that have a shame because they were very reliable and beloved in their home countries CC 504 can be found here.
So where these ads came from back in 6th grade, I found a bunch of old magazines Time on a shelf in our class coat closet, and M. Spilker, our science teacher, gave a friend and allowed me to raise car ads for them, I always have everyone, including probably a few hundred of the period 1971-1976 Volvo, VW, Cadillac, Audi you name so I just might have to dig a little more in the future, but just for today, we remember when we had a lot more variety among the imports here in the States.
The US car market has been worse with the absence of French car and, for me, have always been Peugeot's Chevy leads the French duller Now if you got all US ads for Citroën or Renault.
amazing man cars I drive a diesel 1979,4speed 504 for nearly 30 with 45k miles on the clock now has 469k miles on it than the stock engine XD2 dry sleeves only two clutches, 2 water pumps, alternators 3 1 entry, the rest jusr things as drums, belts, 4-wheel brake pads must have maintained this production instead of passing FWD.



They just stopped the production in Iran of the petrol version and even installed the engines in cars Paykan Hillman Hunter difficult indeed.
The first ad Peugeot 504 also indicates that the Peugeot 504 was the only car to offer a diesel engine option; not true at the time, Mercedes-Benz offered the car Touring 300TD, and Volkswagen has offered a diesel engine for their Dasher Passat and Golf Rabbit So maybe Joe Isuzu or someone like him who is either a liar or doesn know a thing about cars set up the advertising.
T says the only break offered with a diesel This advertisement is from 1975; T W123 wagon had not been out yet, the United States anyway and VW diesel wasn t out yet or they weren t lie.
Ah Ok Unfortunately, I have not noticed what year the announcement was printed, otherwise I'm not sure I noticed Thanks for the correction.
Canadian spec 504 sedan had impact bumpers, but retained the European headlights and had virtually no emissions controls on Here's a picture postcard.
I do not consider these dorky, slow Renault Alliances that were all over the Chicago area and Kensoha the early 80s, I called Dweeb-Mobile, 80 of totally slang.



Love the 504 vintage advertisements I found a couple online, and one that really struck me was in Europe, we re called the French Mercedes 504ever extract 1979 ZF3 only 128,000 miles, happy to know that I can rely on many years of slow cruise.
Great Peugeot research have you here, it will last you forever as long as you stay with pleasure.
Weren t 504 sedans the terrors of the Paris-Dakar in their day tell you about the reliability in the U S spec but nothing had Peugeots a qualifier smoother ride statement that I have never ridden in a Rolls Royce.
We had a family friend who was the president of an oil drilling company and could afford a car, he wanted his wife led a beautiful Cadillac Fleetwood He drove a Peugeot 604, black with a beige interior It was a majestic looking car.
The 504s in sedan and coupe form have much success in the African rallies in the early 70 Bandama, Ivory Coast, but there were some 504 cars and pickups with 4 Dangel 4 conversions around Paris-Dakar from 1980-1985, ran by private teams IIRC few years later, the Peugeot group recycled their group B rally monsters 205 T16 405 T16 later and Citroën ZX successful in the Paris-Dakar.
I got in a couple of Rolls Royce and sorry Peugeot is preferable, despite the hydropneumatic suspension allowed RR Citroën building they are too much of a floating barge over.



Having previously owned a close catastrophically unreliable 504, I laughed darkly nothing worn ad But after inspecting the image while DISMOUNTABLE reveals the difference between the basic Peugeots that worked so well in the world, and Americanized disasters they tried to push on us.
Unlike my 504, this car is a diesel my gas engine blew its head gasket at 40k miles, no automatic complete replacement ZF shipped by slow cargo ship of Paris, power steering failed, power brakes and air conditioning RT probably led in the Southwest, free of rust that killed my first 504.
French cars were built for France, Europe and the tropical world, where all reports they were beautiful cars.
Finally, I laughed out loud at the announcement Google has chosen to accompany my trail of tears Way 1 Don t buy a Peugeot.
PS My 78,504 of hell has been used from a dealer, a rented car two years driven by a seller was it taken care of properly Obviously not.
But that art is part of the point Peugeotphiles seemed prevent electrical accessories and they took care of their cars by the book Even then the Americans expected a change of oil and occasional tuneup needed was a car Cars sold here must meet this expectation certainly understood the Japanese.



Perhaps the best was my Diesel real estate company in November in Rotterdam Harbor, document delivery aboard an Egyptian cargo containers too When I left the ship, I saw two guys near my 504 and the beam cargo ship hanging on my 504 they were preparing to charge and sent me to the captain when I came to see the captain, said he apologized Yes, that's true, how much you want for that I the I saw this afternoon and it seems in much better shape then any 504 I can buy at home, it did not travel in the Sahara desert 504 were really fired the junkyard, prepared and led to cross black Africa over Spain to Morocco, I had to convince him that I needed the car, it was not mine, but the company s.
When I told my boss that story the next day he told me he did Fool 150,000 k, it is a rented car and we would have split the money 50 and 50 reported stolen from us in a week or two.
Here's a video from the early eighties where a couple of Dutch guys bring two former 504 s junkyard across the Sahara to sell in Mali as a Dutch guy I met in Tamanrasset Algeria that brought a 404.
As an American who never owned Peugeots 504s 2, 3 505S, 405S 5, 1604 and my current car, a 605 See below for a picture and wonder how it is that I can own and drive here in the States STATES, I must challenge the comment dull Peugeots are subtle Peugeots, but never boring.
Until you own a Peugeot, their subtle glow escape Peugeot manages to bake in all the models they bring on some Peugeot-ness market that is difficult to define is recognized that it's time you get out of a Peugeot and other car you will miss the qualities, I promise you they are a group of qualities may be unique in the industry, it is the softness and hardness struck in balance where it doesn t dominate the other is how you SIT in a Peugeot seats are best in the business, this is the way they handle neutral yet still soak up travel road surface irregularities very combined with long wheel shock absorbers Peugeot only for themselves, it is the solid rock way they hold their line as they float down a highway straight and it is how management communicates with buying a Peugeot in a manual and you will swear the rated power is significantly underestimated and the hard drive, because the French drive their hard drive and a Peugeot r esponds better to hard driving and regular maintenance I actually think a lot of American problems with Peugeot's were mostly the result of not following the maintenance schedule prescribed by Peugeot the French observe the maintenance schedule for a US owner's car because she economic long term to do and french are frugal.



In summary, Peugeot's French are so well maybe not the French type Citroën and Renault sold, but the other solid, middle-class French.
The fact that the subtlety of a Peugeot is lost on most Americans is reason enough that I love them.
I will digress here and say that Peugeot does not have the best seats in the company this honor Volvo Volvo enthusiast I my life I have two 740s, a 86 and a 91 and a 96-850 and I place a premium seat comfort because I do a lot of long distance driving when I go on holiday over the years, I found the front seats of Volvo offer the best comfort and convenience for drivers focused on safety and travelers like me.
I sat in the front seats Peugeot One of my friends in high school had a 89 505 S sedan We took a trip once I felt the seats that Carlin was like a Mercedes W123 drive as a Not comfortable park bench at all.
During a visit to my sister and BIL we went to a local drive and drinks in their new rental Falcon XR6, but after driving into it I decided my car was much more quiet and comfortable despite being 10 years old and a quarter million kilometers on it and yes I was driving a Peugeot 406 but there was no rattles and rode magnificently against a nearly new Ford.



I think a lot of American problems with Peugeot's were mostly the result of not following the American owner's maintenance schedule as prescribed by the French Peugeot observe the maintenance schedule of a car because it long-term economic to do so.
It's the same lame excuse I hear for every European car that falls outside of this side of the pond Although I've owned German, I've worked on a lot of the rest most repairs were on items outside the maintenance schedule.
Can anyone explain to me why a Peugeot 504 seems to disintegrate on North American soil and not only the rest of the damn planet.
Paul explained in his classic Curbside on 504 Basically, the extra equipment found in North American cars were prone to failure.



The condensed version Different AC equipment, automatic, power steering, a lot of complex smog equipment and undeveloped, the US tend to drive a lot of miles and stretch maintenance programs if applicable, and a very sketchy dealer network .
The 504s were easily overloaded with all the extra equipment and smog checks, which led to overheating, crooked heads, etc.
The base car has been well designed, but all auxiliary equipment was often poorly designed and built flimsily BTW, this general question applied to all French cars in the United States to one degree or another.
People who keep French cars on the road for a long time here learned their quirks cars, and how to deal with them, but that didn t applicable to the typical American buyer, who was clueless and many mechanics.



2nd woman had a car she let me drive 504 There was a 4-speed gasser My girlfriend and I took a road trip from Seattle to Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho Fall one of my father in 1988.
What I loved this beast is that he really treated well not only for a car he wasn t fast, but with the 4-speed I could wring that the power was there to pretty good effect.
He was reliable on this trip, we came across a neo-Nazi compound while seeking Forest Service roads to drive on it and kept us moving along in trouble.
The seats were nice too especially the spacious back seat.
I'm old enough to remember when they were common here; actually old enough to remember my parents' test driving a 403 But every time I see a Fiat 500 on April 1 liter front wheel drive, not Cinquecento or Topolino I can imagine that stranger things return Peugeots in the USA.
My friend often leads parents 504 in mid-70 Once we were in Reno with her dog rescue my sister Cortina, but another story We left the dog in the car and turned on the headlights, which were activated by pressing the steering column shaft LH No twisting required We returned to the car to find a dead battery at least he had a jump Cortina needed a transmission my limited experience the Peugeots of that era skinny tires have seemed dull, always 4 doors, not true heritage of motorsport outside African rallies, but still leads with panache.


My mother was traumatized in the late 60's when our Peugoet caught fire on the highway To date, she still hates things cursed Citroens, the other, she has many fond memories of several that we like me
Here are 76 504 of my father's gas, with more 4ontree 890ooo km over the original is the first owner was the most reliable quality of the car that we can not find in new disposable car.







Peugeot Vintage ads Remember when you could buy a French car in the US, vintage Peugeot, remember, French.